Untitled Chenygate Lantern, Westminster Abbey panels made from fragments of glass by charles eamer kempe Chenygate lantern, Westminster Abbey (detail) (click to http://www.orielglassstudio.co.uk/2580/info.php?p=6&pno=0
Extractions: Home Page Welcome Service details N ews P hotoga llery Baptism Confirmation Bereavement/Funerals ... Links to Other Sites Christ Church Building and History Copies of the revised Church history are available at £3.50 a copy from Pam Brush 01932-872560 In the mid-19th century, the country between Chertsey and Woking contained only small groups of cottages associated with large estates such as Ottershaw Park. These hamlets gradually developed into the present commuter village of Ottershaw. Originally Ottershaw was in the ancient parish of Chertsey, but in 1857 the new parish of Addlestone was formed. This included Ottershaw until 1865 when it became a separate parish. The church is not in the middle of the village, as many older parishes are, but it can be seen on its hill from all directions and gives a visible focus to the spiritual and social life of the neighbourhood. The Church Building Christ Church Ottershaw was the gift of one man, Sir Thomas Edward Colebrooke (1813-1890) who came to live in Ottershaw in 1859. He provided sufficient land from his estate for a church, churchyard and vicarage, paid all the construction costs and endowed the church with £100 per year. The church was designed in the studio of Sir Gilbert Scott and was consecrated in 1864. The original building had no tower, only a spire: the present tower, with spire above and the peal of six bells, was added in 1885-1886, the gift of Edward Gibb esq. The tower clock is a memorial to the Rev. Baron Hichens, 1881-1902.
Childrens Quiz On Historic Churches St Mary the Virgin church in Overton houses treasured stained glass windows designed by charles eamer kempe. kempe windows can usually be identified by his http://www.openchurchnetwork.co.uk/kids.asp
Extractions: Test your skill at discovery. Try our Open Church Network Quiz. The answers can all be discovered on the web site pages of the 16 churches. Or you could print out the quiz and discover the answers on a real tour around the churches, using the general information map reached from the home page. You should find a printed tour guide and quiz prize in the churches. TIP : Click the question numbers to go to the Church detail page. St Dunawd's Church in Bangor on Dee dates from 1300, but who was St Dunawd?
All Saints Ainslie War Memorial Window The artist who created the window was charles eamer kempe who was renowned for his stained glass windows. The design includes his wheat sheaf trademark but http://www.skp.com.au/memorials2/pages/00025.htm
Extractions: Ref: 00025 The church is the former mortuary railway station from Rookwood Necropolis and Cemetery in Sydney. Originally constructed in 1868 it was dismantled after a fire and re-erected in Canberra in 1958 as All Saints Anglican Church. A parishioner painted the east window on the understanding it was temporary until a larger stained glass window could be installed. Lady de L'Isle, wife of a Governor-General, often visited the church and on one occasion brought Sir John Betjeman, Poet Laureate, who expressed the opinion that a large stained glass window should be installed in the space. Some years later a representative of the the church visited Sir John in England where he (Sir John) was Curator of Anglican Church Treasures (or something similar) and who remembered the conversation. Sir John offered the church the choice of one of six windows which had been removed from disused churches and put into storage. The window selected was originally put into St. Clements Attercliffe, a suburb of Sheffield in 1917 as a war memorial to local men. The area it was in was bombed during World War II and later became industrialised. Use of the church declined and it was closed down and demolished in 1963.
Extractions: Stained Glass Stained glass is a term that refers to both the material of coloured glass and to the art and craft of working with it. As a material the term generally refers to glass that has been colored by adding metallic salts during its manufacture. Painted details and yellow stain are often used to enhance the design. The term is also applied to windows in which all the colours have been painted onto the glass and then annealed in a furnace. Stained glass, as an art and a craft, requires the artistic skill to conceive the design, and the engineering skills necessary to assemble the decorative piece, traditionally a window, so that it is capable of supporting its own weight and surviving the elements. Although usually described as stained glass windows the purpose of stained glass is not to allow those within a building to see out or even primarily to admit light but rather to control it. As such stained glass windows have been described as 'illuminated wall decorations'. The design of a window may be non-figurative or figurative. It may incorporate narratives drawn from the Bible, History or Literature, or represent saints or patrons. It may have symbolic motifs, in particular armorial. Windows within a building may be thematic, for example:- within a church- episodes from the life of Christ; within a parliament building- shields of the constituencies; within a college hall- figures representing the arts and sciences.
St. Edward The Confessor, Dringhouses, York Comper studied with charles eamer kempe for a while. You can see another example of his windows at Easingwold and he produced a beautifully painted and http://www.dringhouses-church.org.uk/pages/windows.htm
Extractions: Home The Clergy Monthly Service Pattern The Church's History ... The War Memorial The windows that were installed when the church was completed in 1849, were all made by William Wailes of Newcastle. Wailes was a prolific glass manufacturer, and examples of his windows and repair work carried out by him, can be found in the city of York and much further afield. They form the windows on the West, North and East sides of the church, as well as one of the windows on the South side. In medieval times, before most people could read, stained glass windows were the Bible in pictures. This series of windows gives us some idea of what that must have been like. The sequence begins at the west end of the church with two old testament figures - Elijah and Moses. Moses is portrayed with a beard, and flowing hair. Rays of light appear at each side of his head, looking rather like horns. Some artists actually mistook the light for horns, so he is often portrayed with real horns! The next window takes us into the New Testament, showing St Simeon (Jesus being presented at the Temple) and John the Baptist (and Jesus being baptised). Originally, the font stood directly in front of this window, but in recent years it has been moved to a more central position. (There is a tiny font pictured at the top of the window).
Our Links Page Dragon_Azure. Medieval Architecture The Rose Window. charles eamer kempe. The amazing works of charles eamer kempe and co. Franklin Collection http://www.fantasyinglass.com/SiteDoc/links.html
Extractions: Stained Glass Supplier and Link Purveyor Our Glass Links Page ( Natch Click here for our non-glass related links. A growing collection of stained glass related sites that have caught our attention and one thats hopefully more unconventional than most link lists. If you know of a site that you think should be here, please let us know Mikeys Shameful Oversight Just go there so Mikey doesnt get hurt for forgetting to post this persons website for so long Glass Art Sites Possibly the largest collection of stained glass related sites on the web, This guy could be related to Mikey! Store Finder A site with useful links and a free pattern link page. Narcissus Quagliata Images of the extraordinary works of Narciussus Quagliata Here be Dragons Artwork Page So......you want dragons eh? A good resource for dragon art. Corning Museum The glass museum of glass museums! Morse Museum The most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany found anywhere. Khue.com Well, if you're into Disney AND stained glass, Khue.com is the place to visit. Chihuly It's Chihuly . Need we say more?
Architects kempe, charles eamer (18351907), of London. St Mary s church, north aisle window, 1897; ? Holy Trinity church, south aisle window, c.1901 http://www.hinckley.netfirms.com/Architects.htm
Extractions: ~SCULPTORS ~STAINED GLASS ARTISTS Architects, Surveyors and Engineers For more information about Hinckley-based professionals se e: Architects, Surveyors and Builders living and/or working in Hinckley c.1800-1950 ADDISON, John, engineer, of Westminster ASHBY, William, of Hinckley BALL, Joseph Alfred BARRADALE, Isaac, FRIBA (1845-92), of Leicester Other work included, in Leicester, his own house, 'Stoneygate'; St. George's Chambers, 3 Greyfriars, 1876; [now] Fenwick's Department Store, 1884; and The Cottage Homes, Countesthorpe, 1884. 'His works, which are mostly in Leicester and the neighbourhood, are of good repute' (obit, Builder Grammar School, Leicester Road, alterations and additions, 1906
Extractions: Church Guide (part 2) Go through the South Door The South Door and Porch The main entrance to the church is through the south door. Like the north porch, the south porch has two storeys; it also has statue niches and a carved lily pot, emblem of the Virgin Mary, to whom the church is dedicated. Both storeys were originally used by the Vicar and Churchwardens to conduct the business of the town, with church records and muniments kept in the upper storey. The Royal Commission volume on Huntingdonshire records that a date, with initials G 1623 W S, was formerly on the sundial surmounting the porch gable; it is now indecipherable. Today, as we step through the porch, we see words of Jesus from St Johns gospel above the inner door: I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. These words were placed there in the early 1990s for a flower festival and they invite us to enter the church seeking the light of Christ. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord. Our feet are standing within your gates, O Jerusalem. (Psalm 122:1) The Font The font stands near the door of the church; it symbolises the entry of the baptised person into the community of the faithful.
Virtual Tour charles eamer kempe, an English architect and stained glass artist drew the original plans to design the mansion. Newport architect Dudley Newton supervised http://www.salve.edu/virtualtour/buildings/wakehurst.html
Extractions: 162 Webster * Dual Use Buildings VIEW HISTORIC PHOTOS Wakehurst was the home of international sportsman, political figure and anglophile James J. Van Alen. The mansion, conceptualized in 1882, was built between 1884 and 1887. It was designed to replicate Wakehurst Place, an Elizabethan manor house built in Sussex, England in 1570, that still stands today. Charles Eamer Kempe, an English architect and stained glass artist drew the original plans to design the mansion. Newport architect Dudley Newton supervised the construction on Ochre Point Avenue, including the assembly of certain rooms that were created and built in England. The building of these rooms, the English Jacobean Long Hall, Dutch Renaissance den, and Bruges dining room, introduced the concept of the "museum room." The dining room was also the first actual neoclassical room by Robert Adam to be imported to America. It was intended that Wakehurst be a dramatic landmark with clusters of diamond-paned bay windows acting as beacons in the night. Because of Van Alen's romantic traditionalism, it was lit entirely by gaslight and candle for many years. The university purchased Wakehurst in 1972.
Extractions: Church Windows Honeyman, the architect of the first Skelmorlie Church, also created the three subjects of the side windows in the chancel - St Columba, St Mungo, and St Ninian. The work of a number of notable artists is seen in the five memorial windows along the west wall. The window adjacent to the pulpit bears the inscription of Stephen Adam (FSA Scot), Glasgow and dated 1909. The subjects of the windows are female figures personifying CARITAS (Charity) and VERITAS (Truth). Nothing is known of the maker of the fourth window which depicts female figures personifying LOVE and FAITH standing against a background of foliage and fruits, and flying doves with angels bearing scrolls. The last window in this series depicts St Michael and St George with the coat-of-arms of Lord and Lady Inverclyde above. The window is the work of Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907).
Glasgow, 866, 868 Govan Road, Govan Old Parish Church MacLeod was dissatisfied with all their designs and finally prevailed on his original choice, charles eamer kempe, who would normally only accept Episcopal http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/pls/portal/newcanmore.newcandig_details_gis?inumlink=44
Vidimus No. 7 (May 2007) 2007 marks the centenary of the death of charles eamer kempe, one of the nineteenth centurys most renowned glass painters. His studio, which closed in 1934 http://www.vidimus.org/archive/issue_7_2007/issue_7_2007-02.html
Extractions: Right Hand Decal Left Hand Decal As we go on-line the long awaited exhibition Rheinische Glasmalerei. Meisterwerke der Renaissance has opened at the Schn¼tgen Museum in Cologne, Germany. For the first time since they were dispersed two hundred years ago, 120 panels of magnificent sixteenth-century glass from the cloisters of the monasteries and convents of Altenberg, St. Apern, Mariawald and Steinfeld have been reunited in a stunning display of glass-painting virtuosity. A sumptuously illustrated two-volume has also been produced to accompany the exhibition. Vidimus . The exhibition will close on 29 July. For details of opening times, admission fees and other information visit the museumâs website A full review of the exhibition will appear in the next issue of Vidimus Museum Executive Director Alison Bruesehoff said: âWe hold exhibits to introduce people to stained glass, the different formats it has taken in Europe and America, and to share its history. I find many people know very little about stained glass. By having regular exhibits in the same gallery we can show people a selection of the 1,000 pieces of stained glass we own. Although not all are complete windows, many visitors find the fragments just as interesting, since they can get a close-up of say a hand or eye feature in a face.â
Stained Glass Extra He was a former student of world renowned charles eamer kempe 18381907 whose windows grace many of the cathedrals and churches of Great Britain. http://www.stnicholasnewchurch.co.uk/index_files/Page2434.htm
Extractions: part of the Anglican communion A Church of England in the diocese of Manchester. St Nicholas Church with St John and St Michael Founded 1511 Stained Glass Designers / Makers / Artists James Powell and SonsLondon. Powell and Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd Two famous users of Powell glass were William Morris who is also known for his windows but more so perhaps, for his fabric prints and wallpapers, and Edward Burne-Jones who designed windows for Christ Church Cathedral at Oxford as well as Blackburn Cathedral and many others. James Powell died in 1840 and he was succeeded by his son Arthur Powell. In 1919 the name of the firm changed to Powell and Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd. I dont know yet who the designer / painter of the window was but is was probably one of the following who worked for Powell: Professor Harry Wooldridge, Harry Burrow and Charles Hardgrave all eminent artist designers of their time. Whitefriars glass objects paperweights, vases etc are now very collectable and command high prices. The trademark name of Whitefriars, was purchased by Caithness Glass of Scotland and lives on. Herbert W Bryans 1855-1925 A Church magazine from 1914 recorded the painting of the window as being done by a Mr Herbert W Bryans of London. Herbert Bryans was a notable painter and manufacturer of Stained Glass as well as a designer of memorials which included altars and reredos. Examples of his work are found all over the country.
The Church Buildings The great west window of 1891, designed by charles eamer kempe, depicts the tree of Jesse with angels, prophets, and patriarchs. http://www.university-church.ox.ac.uk/info/build.htm
Extractions: Home The Adam de Brome Chapel, abutting the west side of the tower was added in 1328 by the then Rector, Adam de Brome, who also established in 1324 a new college, the 'house of the Blessed Virgin Mary', later to be known as Oriel College. The chapel is furnished as a courtroom [get picture] where the Chancellor of the University had surprisingly wide jurisdiction: he fixed rents, fined sellers of bad meat, and even sent a scolding woman to prison. The Chancel was rebuilt in 1453 and contains stalls [get picture] which are a fine example of late perpendicular woodwork. It is thought that the remains of Amy Robsart, wife of Robert Dudley, Queen Elizabeth's favourite, were buried here in 1560. The altar picture [get picture] is 'The Angel Appearing to the Shepherds' by Francesco Bassano (1549-92).
Stained Glass in about 1900 were replaced by the famous maker of stained glass, charles eamer kempe, as a thank offering for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. http://www.abbeymuseum.asn.au/stai.htm
Extractions: Contact Us click on link to visit the Abbey Tournament Website Stained Glass in the Abbey Church Help Save our Stained Glass! Perhaps one of the most important and significant collections of rare stained glass in Australia is to be found at the Abbey Museum, largely housed within the Abbey Church. It includes the largest corpus of European medieval and renaissance stained glass in Australia. These include priceless fragments from a series of windows in the Lady Chapel of Winchester Cathedral, possibly commissioned in about 1490. In 1486 King Henry VII brought his wife, Elizabeth of York, to Winchester, which was believed to be the Camelot of King Arthur, where she gave birth to their first child, Prince Arthur. Gifts given by the Queen to the 'Priory of St Swithun in Winchester' at that time may have been used to fund the windows, which can be dated to that period and have been identified as containing scenes from the Book of Revelation, the nativity of Christ and a Jesse tree showing the ancestry of Christ according to the book of Matthew. These magnificent windows were largely destroyed during the English Civil War and in about 1900 were replaced by the famous maker of stained glass, Charles Eamer Kempe, as a thank offering for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. In 1934 the Abbey Folk Park acquired surviving fragments. They represent the largest remaining collection of medieval glass from Winchester. Friends of the Cathedral visited the Museum in 2002 to confirm the identification of the glass.
Charles Eamer Kemp - Artist - Design Toscano charles eamer Kemp was born on June 29th. 1837, at Ovingdean Hall, near Brighton, the fifth son and youngest child of Nathaniel Kemp. http://www.designtoscano.com/category/artist/charles eamer kemp.do
Extractions: His studios, in spite of their heavy commitment to stained glass also produced designs for church furniture, reredos?, screens, altars and panelling and Kempe himself continued to design splendid vestments and altar frontals that were embroidered exquisitely by the Anglican order of Clewer Sisters. The decade from 1895-1905 was the busiest the Kempe glassworks were to experience and it was ro culminate in a commission to produce a window of St George for Buckingham Palace. This window, the victim of wartime bombing can now be seen in the Ely Stained Glass Museum in Ely Cathedral. A Giannelli Abbot Fuller Graves Abbott Handerson Thayer Abiodun Okulaja Adolfo de Karolis Adolphe Cassandre Adolphe-William Bouguereau Agnolo Bronzino Alan Dickinson Alan Lee Albert Allen Albert Bierstadt Albert Joseph Moore Alberto Vargas Alexander Danel Alexandre Cabanel Alexandre-Francois Desportes Alfred Boucher Alfred Fontville de Breanski Alfred Sisley Alphonse Mucha Amedeo Modigliani Andrea del Sarto Andrea della Robbia Andrew Wyeth Andy Warhol Ann Douglas Zeleny Antoine-Louis Barye Antonin Mercie Antonio Canova Antonio Oliani Armand Point Arthur Hughes Auguste Moreau Auguste Rodin Baccio Bandinelli Barrie A F Clark Bart Forbes Bartolomeo Neroni Benedetto da Maiano Benvenuto Cellini Bernardino Luini Bertel Thorvaldsen Bessie Potter Vonnoh
JSTOR A Stained-Glass Window By Alfred Wolmark In Slough 4Charles eamer kempe (18371907) was a prolific worker in stained glass. Exam- ples can be found in many churches countrywide, and range in date from 1877 http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0007-6287(200004)142:1165<228:ASWBAW>2.0.CO;2-R
Ashfield District Council: St. Mary Magdalene Hucknall parish church is home to one of the largest and best collections of stained glass windows by the artist charles eamer Kemp in England. http://www.ashfield-dc.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community-and-living/faiths--belief
Extractions: Skip over navigation Home Text Only Bigger Text ... Jobs Search: Menu Business My Council Education Housing ... Leisure You are here: Home Community and Living Faiths, Beliefs and Religions St. Mary Magdalene Faiths, Beliefs and Religions St. Mary Magdalene Augusta Ada Byron King, Countess of Lovelace 'Big' Ben Caunt George Gordon Byron The Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene St. Mary Magdelene is set in a peaceful churchyard overlooking the market place. The building itself is of great architectural interest and is built on the site of an old Saxon church. The church tower which stands high above Hucknall town was constructed in stages between the 12th and 14th century, whilst the porch was built in 1320. The rest of the building is the result of extensive restoration work which began in 1872. In 1888 the Lady Chapel was re-built, a beautiful example of nineteenth century craftsmanship. The baptistry contains a 14th century font and there are also many beautiful carvings, wall paintings and mosaics around the church. C.E.Kemp Stained Glass